Understanding Children's Feelings About Being Overweight

No longer is there any doubt that a national calamity has befallen this country. Not only have adults claimed the distinction of being overweight but now countless kids are in the same camp. Two-thirds of all adults are overweight or obese. Two-thirds. And between 20 to 25 percent of all children fall into the same category. Good health, athletic prowess, self-esteem and parental controls have not stemmed the tide.

No amount of education, persuasion, rewards, lowering of self-esteem, government influence, have had any direct benefit to help the increasing numbers of children who have succumbed to uncontrollable eating. They are the true victims of the widespread lack of control. The majority of children who remain overweight as they grow into adolescence and adulthood will have a much more difficult task to lose weight and regain good health; a high percentage remain overweight.

What do children of different ages think about being overweight? Listen in:

"Mommy, why am I so fat," an eight year old boy complained. "Because you eat too much, Danny. You need to eat less," his mother replied. "But mommy you feed me all the food I eat, are you making me fat?" "Of course not, I love you and it's fun to watch you eat." But mommy I'm getting fat." "Then stop eating so much."

A ten-year-old girl could hardly look at herself in the mirror. "I hate myself," she murmured to herself. "Why can't I just stop eating so much? That's what daddy always tells me. He doesn't think I'm pretty anymore." She began to cry and turned away from the mirror.

A 13 year-old-boy was embarrassed to get dressed in front of other boys. He hated being fat and looking so sloppy and felt so badly when the girls snickered at him. Yet he can't stop eating. "I can't help myself," he whispered. "I feel so lonely and nobody likes me. I need to eat." In front of others he put on a good front and pretended he liked being fat.

A five-year-old girl in kindergarten sees how different she looks from the other kids except for two boys who were almost as fat as she. "Maybe they'll play with me," she thought. "They won't laugh at me. They're just as fat as me."

One sophisticated 11-year-old girl tried to throw away all the fatty food from the refrigerator and was caught by her mother who angrily scolded her for her actions. "But mother, I can't seem to help myself. I'm eating so much. Why don't you stop buying all the desserts and ice cream and pizzas and all the junk food you buy."

"Because the problem is not my buying it but it's your eating so much," her mother responded. "You have to learn to control yourself, that's all there is too it." "But I can't and you can't either," she said as she looked at her very obese mother standing before her.

Blame is not the answer to controlling overeating. But children do suffer when overweight and need to develop a new set of eating patterns and consistent support by the family. Parents, whether overweight or not, need to acknowledge that the child needs their cooperation and support. Through this mutual understanding children can successfully learn to control their weight.

By Marvin H. Berenson, M.D.

November 17, 2011

My book "The Psychiatrist's Diet" contains an easy-to-use diet plan that is effective, doesn't require any special foods and works for any age. The diet is easily explained to children. The mental imagery exercises that can enhance weight control are often seen as fun games by many children who try them as part of their diet.

Visit http://www.drmarvinberenson.com/ to review "The Psychiatrist's Diet" and sign-up to receive Dr. Berenson's highly informative biweekly newsletter and two FREE gifts.

Marvin H. Berenson, M.D. is Clinical Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry, USC Keck School of Medicine, psychiatrist, lecturer, author and artist.


Original article

No comments: